Volvo 850, trailer flasher lamp question

hi

when i have my caravan on the volvo, the trailer lamp in the dash does not work, have raved all the top of the dash out, then removed the instrument panel, bulb is ok, is there something else i must do to make it work, like wiring.

pash

Reply to
pasha_patel

My 850's do not have a trailer lamp. What they do have is a lamp that comes on if there is a defective lamp or the trailer is not wired properly.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

steve.

i have had the dash out and there is a bulb in the holder, it is a secondry lamp to flash when a trailer towed, maybe it is diff in the uk where i live, i have a lamp that comes on if a light goes out. we also have o fit a bleeper to the trailer wiring to bleep to tell if the trailer indicator lamps are working, but would be nice to have the lamp working, i have looked in the wiring diagram but cannot see it listed. maybe atrip to my local dealer may help.

andy_mactavish999

None of my 10 Volvos including 2 850s had such a lamp. I don't understand the purpose of it.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

hi setve thanks for that,

maybe i got it wrong, as you say the lamp comes on if bulb goes or trailer lamps do not flash, but thought it was a repaeter to tell if the trailer indicators were not working, but thanks for all the info.

pash

Reply to
andy_mactavish999

Maybe it's market dependent. In the UK there is a legal requirement, when towing a trailer, for the driver to be provided with confirmation that the trailer direction indicators are flashing. There are various ways of achieving this - including after-market buzzers etc., but the easiest way is to have an additional lamp on the dash which only flashes when the flasher unit is driving 3 bulbs (plus side repeaters, of course) rather than two. I don't know about 850's. but my 1999 (old shape) V70 came with a bulb fitted and all wired up.

I think (from memory - without going out to the car to check) that this extra lamp also flashes when the hazard warning lights are operated.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

thats what i thought, but there is a bulb in the dash, which seems to do 2 jobs, 1 let you know if a bulb has gone and 2 trailer light repeater, but niether work, and bulb has not blown. i will maybe fit a bleeper and call it done. but thanks for all the help.

Reply to
andy_mactavish999