Volvo 960 3 ltr 24v Engine Clean By Power Wash

Good evening all

Having recently purchased a Volvo 906 Saloon 3 litre 24v 1996, I am hoping that someone will be able to advise me on whether it is ok to steam/pwerwash the engine compartment, and if so, what precautions I have to take with any sensitive parts eg battery. The compartment seem rather dirty and would like the best advice please on how to clean it

Thank you

Mathew

Reply to
MPB

I just power wash my 1998 S90 with clear water every spring. Battery included.

Reply to
Wilson

I dont touch my 1994 850 with a hose in the engine bay anymore, last time I did that it cost me $60.00 to have it all dried out, and have the check engine light turned off. Maybe it's just specific to the 850 line, but I was told on (my car anyway) to just use brake cleaner and spot clean.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

that someone will be able to advise me on whether it is

have to take with any sensitive parts eg battery.

to clean it

This is what I've learned washing my V70 engine compartment: Don't wash if it's even a little bit warm, water will get sucked into the distributor cap as it cools. (You don't have a distributor cap.) Keep all water away from the top of the engine, as it will get under the plastic cap (the cap is the one that says "20 Valve" on my car, presumably "24 Valve" on yours) as this will end up in the spark plug wells and cause misfiring. Also, I don't blast water at anything that has wires going to it, but I don't worry about low pressure water washing down over them.

Reply to
Mike F

I would concur- having washed our S70 with the power washer whilst it was fairly warm (as i thort the heat would speed the drying out..) I then had severe misfiring and spluttering. Water had indeed managed to get down the plug holes, and inside the distrubutor cap which I then had to dry out.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Howdy folks

Just keep your motor running while you clear it. And don't get to close to the paint on the body.

CU Mathy

Reply to
Mathy Van Nisselroy