Volvo gearbox

Hi all, If anyone can help. How long does a typical 940 or generally does a gearbox last? my 1996 volvo requires a gear box change according to an authorised volvo service center. thanks

Reply to
usoft

If it was not abused, get a second opinion. The gearbox should outlast the engine. What is the problem with the gearbox?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Auto or manual? Transmission problems are relatively rare, they do break sometimes but typical lifespan is longer than the car.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's a completely different animal from a RWD 940 though.

I don't doubt it was never abused, probably just a dud gearbox, seems like Volvo should have paid for the whole job at such low mileage.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks all for the information, Millage is now 263K, auto, soft turbo, no abuse..drive to office. seldom outstation or long distance..regular maintenance by volvo authorise wkhop since last couple of months, the gear does not want to engage when accelerate i.e on D..it stays on high rev..it should engage like normal drving... the engine or gear box need to be warm for 5-10 mins before the gear can engage to next gear. else will drive on high rev.. there will be a smell of burnt under the carriage.. probabaly due to engine on high rev..which does not correspone to the gear needed.. The mechanic did flush the transimmison oil, it improve...but problem stays..he say the gear box needs to be change im not very technical, hope this explain regards, yusof

usoft

That is quite high mileage, and it's a turbo, while they often last 300K or more, it's not unheard of for them to fail in the 200s.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thats true James, that what i thought so, but I've also heard from my friend that he needs to change his 960 too. may be the workshops here take an easy solutions to solve the problem instead of offering to repair faulty part..

Reply to
usoft