Volvo Gislaved winter snow tires

Does anyone know where to find these except through the dealer. When i sold my 850T-5 i included them. But now i want to get some for another car i have, plus for my moms car. And no I'm not some punk little kid wasting time, I'm 27 and my mom knows nothing about cars. Thanks in advance. You can reply here on the newsgroup, but it would be easier to drop me an email. snipped-for-privacy@waite.tv

Reply to
Jon

Hello Jon:

You did not mention where you live but appear to be a Comcast subscriber so likely are residing in the US.

Anyway, the tires you refer to are available through many sources. They are made in Sweden but not by Volvo; rather they are manufactured by Gislaved (name of a town in Sweden and location of the factory) but are now owned by Continental.

They are by reports a decent snow tire but you may want to do some research and look particularly at the Nokia Hakkapellitas (sp) or the Bridgestone Blizzak.

I'm planning on buying the Hakkapellitas (Finnish for how do I pronounce this and what does it mean?) as they are highly rated by drivers in my area who race autocross in Winter.

Note: I live in upstate NY and we get a lot of snow and ice--more than our neighbors across Lake Ontario in Canada.

Do keep one thing in mind: for a snow tire it's better to have a taller and narrower tire.

You may want to do a Google search but also include a brand called "Green Diamond" I still have more research to do on these as I only became aware of them today but they look promising.

Good luck!

Doc

Reply to
doc

Continental has closed the factory and moved manufacturing out of Sweden. One of the engineers behind the Gislaved winter tires now works for Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

For winter i have Gislaveds on my 740 and Michelin Ivalo on my V70, both with spikes. Have never tried Hakka but they do have a good reputation. Are you allowed to use spikes in the US?

/Anders W, mid Sweden

Reply to
Anders Wiklund

"Jon" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Continental continues to make the Gislaved tires, i dont know in wich contry though.

am a little surprised that you find the Gislaveds good without spikes, i think they are engineerd to bee used with spikes. /aw

Reply to
Anders Wiklund

Hello Anders:

When you mention spikes I assume you are referring to what are commonly called "studs" here. They are allowed in some states in the US. I happen to live in Upstate NY near the Canadian border.

Most here think spikes or studded snow tires are not allowed here but that's simply not true.

That said, they are only allowed in our region from October 16th to April 30th. That makes perfect sense as it can start snowing here in early October and last year we had our last big storm in May.

That said, so few drivers here use studded snows these days that I've never heard of a driver being stopped or ticketed for going past the deadline.

If others living here in the US are wondering if and when studded tires are allowed here is a good link that list the regulations for all US states:

reviewed the list and noticed that Mauna Kea Island in Hawaii allowsstudded tires. That seems a bit bizarre to me as I had not realizedthey had snow. Perhaps there is another reason they are allowed andI'd like to hear from anyone who knows what it might be

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc