Volvo V70 2004 AKTIV

I have had my V70t for almost 2 months and after much fiddling the tranny oil is a clear as what comes out of the bottle . A transmission cooler should aid long life to the oil . I still can,t get used to the large turning circle after my 1990 740t or the lack of omph but it goes well .The ride is ordinary but on the freeway it is quiet and smooth . The brakes are very efficient but lack the bite of Lucas pads on the 740 as they are Bendix . I figure changing the oil to synthetic in the engine accounts for the cleaning up of the internals . Lets hope the toyota T1V oil in the tranny works well as the oil I took out was the worst I have ever seen from a transmisson in over 50 years .But no sparkles or lumps in the oil.And this after a valve body service . Slowly I changed the oil but finally a total complete change till it ran red into the container . The economy is good very good and much better than the 740t on the freeway . LOVE the seating and with an anti glare mat on the dashboard it is perfect for out sunny days . I swore I would never get black again but I did, and wow the heat is amazing .still figuring out bits and pieces what does what but am enjoying the wagon . I am waiting for the heat and fires to subside before taking the car on a round trip to the north of Australia and back hopefully with out problems . I like to hope some of the issues with the transmission others are experiencing are due to lack of real hands on maintenance and extra cooling .

Reply to
jrobertson

Can you please describe your method for transmission oil changing? Never having done that, it occurs to me it would be difficult to ensure all the oil gets drained from torque converter, cooler, etc. Is there a way to flush all the old oil out?

Reply to
Jordan

Take the oil line off the radiator by Pressing the line in squeezing the green flaps and then pulling it out . Place a clear 1/2 inch bore hose where the line came out push it in a then place the other end in a bucket Keep filling up the tranny oil through the oil filler a yellow dip stick which is under the general area of the hose which you removed .As bubbles start to occur fill the transmission with more clean fluid or have a friend help, much wiser .Keep doing till the oils clean .The oil flows from the radiator guess how I know ? What a mess when you don't do it right .This way the oil is totally changed .I did a drain fill drain fill and then a fluid change completely .Which sounds wise so you don't dump the nasty bits in the system all at once . Consider a tranny cooler as well an easy fit .

Reply to
jrobertson

Reply to
Jordan