Finding a registration plate? (uk)

Hi,

I would like to find out if a certain number plate is available for sale in the UK but the only way I know of doing this is buying TopGear magazine and then searching all the adverts in the back, which would take me a lifetime!

Is there anywhere that has a central list of plates available? I know

have some on there but they are only the ones they have for sale.

Thanks

Daz

Reply to
Daz

I don't think there's a central list of *all* available plates in the UK ... that would be very handy, but somewhat difficult to compile!

You could try

if you're looking for ideas. Or if you're looking for a specific one, you could put a "wanted" ad in one of the motoring mags.

In fact, a quick google shows that there are several number plate websites out there. Good luck!

Reply to
Jo Ling

DVLA is the main source. One can phone them, too.

Otherwise the Sunday Times (Driving section) is a good place for adverts.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Most of the selling companies talk to one another. So ask any of them - they'll do the search for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used Elite Registrations (I'm sure Google will throw them up). I told them what I wanted and 6 months later they found it for me.

Reply to
TonyK

As one can lots of other organisations - and (after ages on hold on a premium rate number) get someone in another country, whose first language is not English, who can't deal with anything over the phone...

Not for nothing was the DVLA/C know for years in the computer press as "The Joke Factory".

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

BTW, what plate are you looking for?

A friend who is a radio ham has his call-sign on his car. Apparently he went to one of his radio ham "meets", and he and two other hams were parked in a row - all with their call-signs on their numberplates. Neat, eh?

Reply to
Jo Ling

Over here in the Colonies, we can go to our State Department of Motor Vehicles website -- at least I can -- and plug in a plate number to see if it has been taken. The website comes back with a report that the plate is taken or available.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

has the best number plate search engine

Easily

Reply to
matt.rycroft

I'd like to try and find

M3 DJN

Will look nice on my '04 M3 Coupe and DJN are my initials... or am I just a bit sad?!?

Reply to
Daz

Go to the AA website and you can stick in the plate and see if its already registered.

Reply to
TonyK

Just done an insurance quote and put that reg in, seems as though it's already taken, d'oh!

m3 djn, BMW 1995-1997, M3, 2990cc, 4 Door, Petrol, Manual

So now I need to find out who's got it and will they sell!

Reply to
Daz

Nice one ... insurance quote, eh? Never thought of that! D'oh.

Reply to
Jo Ling

Nice one ... insurance quote, eh? Never thought of that! D'oh.

Reply to
Jo Ling

A few years ago (2001) I bought a personalised plate and don't recollect a problem phoning DVLA.

It could have got worse, of course.

Anyway, they have an easy-to-use website.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling