Vauxhall Nova Indicator Problem

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup, but it doesnt seem to be.

I am very new to cars (I've just decided to learn to drive at 32 and got hold of my frist practice car over the weekend)

I got a 1991 Vauxhall Nova and it seems to be a good runner, I know nothing about maintaining cars but am very willing to learn on my own car :)

However I have a problem with the indicator lights. Basically, when you turn on an indicator, neither of the indicators at the frint or back light up. There isn;t the clicking noise but the green indicator light inside the dash does light (It doesnt flash though and I am not sure if its supposed to, I guess so)

When I put the hazards on, everything lights up and flashes fine.

Can anybody point me in the general direction of what could be wrong and possible remedy.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Pickles

it sounds like you have a faulty hazard switch. They aren't expensive and you can always ask if you can 'try before you buy'.

Reply to
Alan

Cheers :)

Will give that a go..... if you dont mind me asking probably stupid questions from a newbie......

1) As the hazards seem to be working fine, how would it affect the indicators?

2) Whats the best place to get parts and stuff from.?

Thanks again

Craig

Reply to
Craig Pickles

These switches were prone to failure causing the indicators to not work. They obviously share circuitry so I presume there is a short somewhere. Fiddling with the switch sometimes cured it for a while.

This sort of part is best from a Vauxhall Dealer although I would shop around for service items and other repair items. Most people prefer genuine parts and they are more likely to fit/last but they can be expensive. Vauxhall have improved there pricing a lot recently and service parts are very competitive now.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks for all your help Alan.... Will give it a go :)

Cheers

Craig

Reply to
Craig Pickles

Give the hazard-switch a good few switchings first - you may find the problem goes away. The hazard-switch is something thats operated relatively infrequently and the contacts tend to get a bit corroded - some vigorous switching-on-and-off of the hazards rubs the corrosion off the switch contacts and the indicators then work again.

This used to happen every few months on my old Sierra.

Reply to
PJML

Hi Alan,

Just wanted to say a big thank you :) Managed to get a replacement Hazard switch and now the indicators are working perfectly :)

Cheers

Craig

Reply to
Craig Pickles