02 Passat headlamps: Which bulbs are lit when?

Silly question, but I guess I've never stood in front of my car and looked at it when the lights are on 'til now.

I guess there are three states (not counting the fog lamps):

  1. DRL
  2. Normal headlights on
  3. High beams on

It appears that from the front at least, states 1&2 are the same, with the outer pair of lamps lit, while state 3 also brings up the inner pair.

Right?

I expected the DRL mode to be reduced intensity, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

All correct.

The DRLs might be slightly reduced but barely perceptible. I know on my Eurovan they're almost no dimmer to the naked eye but if I put a voltmeter to the wiring the DRLs are slightly less voltage than my low beams. But yeah...they're not really any dimmer from a "does it matter" standpoint.

Reply to
Matt B.

As I recall the DRL's are the high beams on at 70%. A 30% reduction in power translates to something like a 40% reduction in brightness and unless you are looking very carefully most people will not detect the difference, but the life of the lamp is extended. In addition the light spread is wider and higher to provide better warning to on coming drivers and more light to someone standing in front of the car.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

BTW I have replaced my original switch with a European version. I have:

  1. DRL 2. Parking Lights 3. Normal headlights on 4. High beams on

With the option to turn on the fog lamps at any setting. Which means in heavy fog or snow, I can use position #2 with fog lamps for the best possible vision. The higher mounted head lights on normal or high beam bounce back too much to be useful in fog or snow.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You mean low beams at 70% right?

DTRLs >> Silly question, but I guess I've never stood in front of my car and

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It may be, I am working from memory and I have never checked. I also may be different on different cars.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Unless the laws have been changed recently, high beams plus fogs is illegal almost everywhere in the US. If you are in the US.

Reply to
Biz

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It should be lows. Haven't seen a VW yet that used the highs for DRLs. All the ones I've seen use the lows.

Reply to
Matt B.

It should be easy enough to tell (if you don't have someone handy to look at the bulbs which you switch modes) by pulling up in front of a wall and going through the settings. On my '03 Passat, the DRLs are the low-beams, running at (slightly) reduced power. The difference in brightness is minor but noticeable.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith