Under the Table

Somebody posting a message at FatWallet.com offerred this advice when buying a new car. Basically, he says to bribe the salesman. I quote the poster now:

"Its a fact that the average car salesman only sells 8-10 cars per month. Its also a fact that a "flat", the money a salesman is going to make on a new car sales with no profit(invoice) is $50-$100. So do the math thats only $800-$1000 in commission per month. Thats why dealer are always hiring salesman. Its also why salesman are constantly getting fired. GET THE SALESMAN ON YOUR SIDE! Tell him up front he's not gonna make any money on you, this will be an invoice deal. Tell him you'll slip him a $100 after the deal if you get your price. So when he goes up to the "salesdesk", he's fighting for you."

END of quote.

Well, does his advice make sense? Should you give the salesperson $100 under the table? Will that actually help you get your price?

Also, what if you've already spoken with the sales *Manager* directly, and the manager already offerred you INVOICE pricing minus the current $500 rebate to bring the out-the-door price to

500 dollars under INVOICE. But even that price is still $600 OVER the out-the-door price of a dealer one-hundred miles away. How would slipping the salesman $100 help you in that situation? Should you slip the $100 to the sales *Manager*?

Finally, is it ethical to slip either the salesman or sales manager $100 dollars?

Reply to
Built_Well

Geeze you haven't bought that Camry yet? Might as well wait for the '07's now.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well, I would have bought by now, except my local dealer wants

18.8 while a dealer 100 miles away wants only 18.2. Originally, the locals wanted 19.0, so I was able to talk him down $200.

But I still keep thinking of that 18.2 only 100 miles away. I told the locals I'd buy from them if they give me 18,550, but they seem to be holding tough. Not even a call from those slick boys while every other dealership I've spoken with has called me at least

3 or 4 times.
Reply to
Built_Well

Hmm, Edmunds says the '07 Camrys won't be coming out until Spring. It's too long for me to wait. Will buy the '06.

Reply to
Built_Well

The $100 commission a car figure is bogus, unless the vehicle doesn't cost that much.

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

bought an 06 le for $19200. listed for $21101.. only option was the floor mats and trunk mat. got the color i wanted ( light blue) all this going back and fourth to save $100 or $200. is not worth it to me. dealer is 5 miles from me. whats a few hundred dollars if your going to keep a car 5 or 6 years like i do? have a 97 corolla as my 2nd car that i bought new. never had so much as a check engine light come on. one set of tires, one set of brakes. timming belt changed with the other belts at 62000 miles, change coolant every other year, one battery. oil change every 5000 miles. and one transmission flush. burns one half qt oil in

5000 miles. still runs as good as the day i got it.not bad for a 9 year old car. never had anything done to the a.c. and still cools like a champ. those toyotas are the best. no ford could do it.
Reply to
Dave Dave

You know, a good sales guy can make a ton of cash. A local Chrysler salesman just bought a $700k house near me, and his wife is stay at home milf. He has a lot of toys, and I am sure it's not some inheritance. He said used car salesguys can actually make even more money. The ruthless nature of the business is the reason for high turnover. You have two types of salesguys, newbies and guys that have been there for years and years. The in-between is the filter.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Darn, I haven't seen that "Sky Blue Pearl" color at all on my dealer's lot. Nor have I seen Black and "Aspen Green Pearl."

If that blue is the same blue as I saw on a used '03 Camry, that would be my favorite, followed by the "Lunar Mist Metallic" (kinda silvery).

If my local dealer gets that blue, I'll jump and pay his $600 premium price--but that blue is really rare I think because I've been checking the web site of the other dealer

100 miles away, and he hasn't gotten a single Sky Blue Pearl in weeks either--at least not in the MSRP range of 21,101 to 21,791 I'm looking at.

Can my local dealer get the Sky Blue Pearl from either Toyota or another dealership if I ask him? If so, would the car cost me more if he gets the car from another dealership?

Reply to
Built_Well

didn't cost me any more for the light blue. dealer had to get it from another dealer 110 miles away. car had 113 miles on it at deliverly. send one of there guys with a car with the same list price (21101.) they drive it to the other dealer pick up the car in the color you want and drive it back. they just trade cars. check with your dealer. said they do it all the time. they get on their computer locate a car from another dealer in the color you want. watched them do it. took about 10 minuted with the phone call and all. picked up the car the next night.

Reply to
Dave Dave

Thanks for describing the dealer trading process. Glad there's no mark-up passed onto the customer for the time involved in driving the cars between dealers.

Hmm, I just learned that the "Sky Blue Pearl" on the new '06 Camrys is not the same blue I saw and liked a lot on a used '03 Camry. The '03 blue is called "Catalina Blue." It's really nice, isn't it.

I can't say I like any of the '06 colors. I guess the one I dislike the least is the "Lunar Mist Metallic." Haven't seen the "Sky Blue" yet but people say it's maybe 5 shades lighter than Catalina Blue.

Reply to
Built_Well

no they are two entirely different colors. the sky blue pearl that i have is a very light blue it looks almost silver in some light.the calalina blue is a medium blue but very pretty. if they had both colors in the 06 it would have been a hard choice for me. toyota last year for the catalina blue was 04. in 05 came out with the sky blue pearl. 05 and

06 dash is a little different with bigger fuel and temp gages which i like. also 5 speed auto transmission was added in 05. rpms are only 2000@64 mph. have got 34 to 34.5 on the road. over 500 miles on one tank on the road. get 24.5 t0 25 around town. which is very good.
Reply to
Dave Dave