1994 jetta diesel no power then quit

If anyone can help. I was driving up a slight incline, when I all of a sudden lost power. I pulled over, and as I was stopping the car died, but
before I stopped I popped the clutch and then started it again. I started on my way again, and then it gave out again. I started it once more and it seemed to have all kinds of power and then it quit. I was then pointing down hill, and when I tried to start it again, it just turned over and over. I had it towed home, will have to look at it when I get home. Any suggestions. I changed my fuel filter about 6 months ago. It has been very rainy and cold here lately (Nova Scotia Canada). Any Suggestions?
Could be water in the fuel -- should be a tap on the bottom of the filter to drain out the water.
You might also be running out of fuel due to a faulty fuel gauge... those are the only things that come to mind. Sure sounds like fuel starvation or contamination.
Did you have a look at your fuel lines? Is there air bubbles in them? Is there any fuel in them at all? Maybe you have a leak somewhere and your sucking air into them. I had the exact same problem and the cause was (sorry to say) that some seals had failed in the lift pump section of the injection pump and it needed to be rebuilt.
Hi There was bubbles in the lines, and I went into the hatch that's in the trunk, and there is a bit of power, but when we took off the line, there wasn't any fuel there at all. Is there a way of testing this?

Hi I was already to replace the injector pump, when I noticed that there was a wire off of the injector pump. Once I reconnect it, it started. Thanks.

Hi, I have the same problem with my regular gas 1990 Jetta. I was recently advised to check for a clogged screen on the outlet of the gas tank. I just posted a question to see if anyone knows if there is a screen on this model before I go to the lengths of dropping the tank to reach it. Hope this helps.
That's the start solenoid. When it goes bad your engine shuts off.