1995 Passat GLX VR6 Exhaust Repair

Does anyone have good advice on replacing the exhaust system (center and rear mufflers) on my 1995 Passat GLX VR6?

The car is 10yrs old, 150K miles in a northern (salty) climate and the corrosion has finally taken its toll. I am not interested in performance exhausts. I would like the car to perform and sound as it did from the factory.

I am considering purchasing the center and rear muffler from an online parts source and installing it myself. However I am afraid I may get parts that do not fit exactly right. I am handy but I do not have air tools or a welder. I can cut with a hacksaw and bolt new parts together.

If anyone has had a good experience or a bad one with specific parts stores or brands I sure would appreciate a heads-up!

Thanks in advance!

mark

Reply to
Mark

I did a full TT exhaust on my '91 GTI with no special tools. The system after the cat wasn't too hard to deal with. Before the cat was another story (I did a manifold swap and downpipe swap too but it doesn't sound like you're doing that). Fit of the TT system was great.

Reply to
Matt B.

However it has more sound than a stock exhaust. Primarily lows.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject. by "TT" do you mean Techtonics? The one that germanautoparts.com sells? Do you know if this would be any louder at 75 mph than the stock exhaust? I can tell from the picture that this exhaust system is quite different from stock. It has no front muffler and the center muffler is smaller.

Does Anyone have good/bad experiences with having this system replaced by a dealer with "oem" parts? cost?

does anyone know a good source to buy stock replacement parts aside from the dealers?

thanks!

Reply to
Mark

Go with exhaust parts from the dealer if you wish the factory sound and fit. You will get a lifetime warranty with it too since you may have to replace it again in 10 years. The aftermarket exhaust, the 'normal brands' that I have seen, don't seem to last as long as the factory stuff and may have to be replaced after 3-4 years. :-(

Techtonics should last a long time though and will be priced close to the dealer's parts AFAIK. And if you didn't already know it, the dealer's parts will cost more than most of the aftermarket stuff. So look around for some online dealers selling parts! Phil do you sell parts at a discount?

Just my $0.02 later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves