ATF Leak 93 Passat VR6

I had a small ATF leak on my 93 Passat GLX VR6 with 104,000 miles. Otherwise the transmission is quiet and shifts great. The dealer said that VW does not recommend servicing this kind of leak on a car with this many miles, just occasionally top off the fluid. They say that draining out the old ATF and associatied clutch particles would start the clutches wearing and quickly kill the transmission. Sounded weird, but they were emphatic. After a while the leak stopped. So my two questions. Is the dealer right? and Second, do I check the fluid level in the traditional way, with a hot transmission in Drive and my wife's foot on the brake? I don't have a proper manual for this car. It has a traditional dipstick.

Thanks!

Reply to
Paul