2002 Jetta TDI front suspension squeak

I discovered in late spring (when I started being able to drive with the windows open) that I have an annoying squeak from the front suspension. Can't hear it with the windows closed. I've been enduring it so far, but I need to go in for regular maintenance soon and I want to see if I can make them fix this.

It happens most when a wheel passes over a sharp-edged bump, like the edge of a shallow pothole or a patch. Undulating road surfacess, even if there is a lot of suspension action, don't cause the problem much or at all.

It seems like the loudest noise is when I go over the far edge of a bump; when the suspension extends there is a sharp squeak.

Any suggestions as to what I can tell the dealer to look for?

Thanks, RJ

Reply to
RJ

Sway bar bushings.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

WD-40 or something similar to that. But what I do if it's still under warranty is replace the bushings and use a grease on the new ones. Just lasts longer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Probobly HHS-2000...it's a high pressure, highly adhesive grease manufactured by Wurth.

Great Stuff!

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

I've got the same thing. I saw a thread a while ago saying that it was the brake calipers moving in their holders. A little grease at the next pad change is supposed to cure it.

Reply to
Wakeley Purple