2003 Passat Remote Control Battery

My remote control stopped working today. I didn't drop it, so I'm guessing that the battery is dead after only 17 months of use.

I didn't see anything in the manual about checking or changing the RC's battery -- if it's there, please advise where.

I did a google search of this newsgroup and found some prior posts on this subject, but I'm left with several questions.

Is there anyway to check if the RC's battery is dead before taking the RC apart?

Is changing the battery a do-it-yourself job for the average driver or is this a VW service department trip or for an experienced mechanic? [I've put together several computers and changed out their parts so I'm not a complete dufus when it comes to handling mechanical/electrical issues. Just a partial dufus.]

The cover of the RC allegedly just pops off, but I don't see any obvious place to start. Is there a starting spot? If so, where?

Does the RC use a readily available battery or does it need to be obtained from a parts store (e.g, Autozone) or the VW dealer?

Allegedly, the code does not need to be re-entered or something along those lines if the battery is changed. True?

Any other important issues before I try this myself?

Reply to
T. Fisher

Tim Burr

Still under warranty? More likely the remote died and not the batteries! Does the other remote work?

Reply to
Woodchuck

T. Fisher:

"Woodchuck" :

Not true. My 2002 Passat remote also needed a battery change around 17 months of use. I did the replacement myself, using a replacement battery purchased at Staples. Just be careful prying off the cover.

Reply to
Richard Schulman
  1. The B5's information is helpful, but dated. The key issue is different in a 2003.

  1. My wife has my other remote, but she never drives the Passat. I forgot that she had the thing. Using it would have enabled me to check the car, but it wouldn't have tested whether my remote was good.

  2. The remote just pulls apart. It takes quite a bit of force. I used a pliers to hold the key. Apparently, holding the key ring can cause it to break. Therefore, I held the body of the remote, the key ring, and some keys.

  1. The battery was dead. Cost .99 US to replace.

The manual deals with the battery in 3.1 at p. 25.

Reply to
tf