2004 Jetta wagon GLS

Just received today. Traded in a Subaru Outback Sport Wagon. I am disappointed in the handling compared to the Subaru. This VW dances all over the highway, requiring constant corrections. Every hump,bump or crack in the highway requires something. The Subaru tracked straight with little to no correction.

Reply to
Steve

You did not do a test drive before buying it???

Make sure the tyres are properly inflated for a start.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

to the fact that they have to drive quite a lot faster then North American speed limits, when they are in their home country).

Although VWoA tends to specify softer suspension settings for North American bound cars for better ride at the expense of handling. Nevertheless it shouldn't handle terribly.

I've driven a Jetta GLS 1.8T with the stock suspension and I do agree it's waaaay too soft for my tastes. I rode in a '01 (I think) VR6 Jetta with the sport suspension option and it was definitely better...even though I wasn't driving that particular car I could feel the difference in the ride...it definitely felt more athletic and a lot more like our 3-series that we have.

I'd have the alignment checked if the car doesn't cruise right at highway speeds. After a tire change, my '91 GTI tended to react to the grooves in the road too much and I had it aligned and since then it's been a lot better and less skittish...no longer felt like the road was steering the car.

Reply to
Matt B.
2 observations. First is check tire pressure. I set mine at 30-33. Pick a value and make sure they are the same. 44 which is the max for the tire is not the proper pressure for the vehicle. My 2003 Jetta wagon goes down the highway with virtually no corrections. On a gusty sidewind day I have a little.

I had a car that went down the road f>Just received today. Traded in a Subaru Outback Sport Wagon. I am

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Our 02 wagon goes down the road quite nicely. Driven the outback many times as well, and the AWD makes them feel different, but I definitely haven't experienced what the original poster describes.

Reply to
Tony Bad

That's definately odd, VW's tend to be excellent highway cars (mainly due to the fact that they have to drive quite a lot faster then North American speed limits, when they are in their home country). I find my Golf needs more corrections then the big Volvo my parents drive, but I don't even really notice it. Check the tire pressure and alignment and such (does it drive straight on a flat road?).

Maybe it's just because it isn't a Subaru, you might have to get used to how the car drives. Some cars need almost no driver involvement, some need more.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've driven a friends Jetta Wagon TDI - and it's nowhere near as bad as the original poster claims... He loves it even more then his Golf TDI.

Reply to
Rob Guenther