78 VW Rabbit Starter Not Working Solenoid Question

The starter died on my 78 VW Rabbit Diesel.
I replaced the bad starter with a rebuilt Autolite starter. When I engaged the starter, the starter motor spun, but did not make contact
with the flywheel to turn the engine over. I replaced that starter with another new/rebuilt starter. Again, same problem. The starter spins but does not make contact with the flywheel.
I also replaced the brass bushing....thinking that might have something to do with it. The battery is good, and fully charged.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jeff
JH wrote:

P.S. I cranked the engine by hand, and checked the flywheel. None of the teeth look damaged.
Jeff
Check the operation of the starter solenoid by grounding the starter and ONLY supplying power to the small terminal on the solenoid. The starter drive should pop out. Maybe you should check the dimensions of the starter and the flywheel teeth. Maybe the starter drive does not extend far enough to touch the teeth of the flywheel.
I think it is that Autolite starter. :-( What was wrong with the old starter?