Engine & fuel sys. question

I was planning on switching in a 1.8l into my 84' Jetta(has 1.7l CIS-Lambda now).

I have seen for sale locally an 87' 1.8l Golf engine. The guy is not home now so I cannot get the engine code.

My questions are:

What fuel system did the 1.8l engine have in the 87' Golf?

Were there different 1.8l's in the 87' Golf?

Would a GX 1.8l go into my car w/o any additional mods?

Would any of them require the knock sensor ignition?

and Were any CIS systems put onto engines with knock sensor ignition from factory?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Jerritt

Most were CIS but some late '87s were Digifant.

Yes...see above.

Not totally sure but I believe it will.

Reply to
Matt B.

If you use the tranny from the '87, you'll be missing the proper mounts if I recall correctly. Or is that vice versa?

Reply to
Darryl

Basically you want to know if you can bolt up the engine and will it work. Yes it should bolt in and yes it should work, but you may have to change the manifolds and you may have a small issue with the right side engine mount. You may have to use a bolt and a nut for one spot IIRC.

You could probably convert your 84 to use the FI system from the 87 if you choose to and do it at a later date. :-) Note: Fuel injectors might be larger on the 87 engine.

JMHO dave (installed an 86 GTi engine in an 88 Cabriolet) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Yes. My '87 California GTi had CIS-e (KE-jetronic) and a knock sensor.

Reply to
Randolph

I had an 91 GTi engine from a Golf type II built in a type I 89 cabriolet The air intake is a bit short of space, ( the JH engine had the air intake on drivers side, the PB on the passengers side). With a bit of extra enginering this engine is forced up to about 140 hp.

That VAG stuff reminds me of LEGO, allmost everything fits and if it doesn't fit immediately it can easily be made to fit.

Roy

Reply to
-= Roy =-

I did basically what you want to do with my 81 1.7L Cis-lambda Cabby when I put a 1.8 L JH engine in it. Here are some potential problems (nothing that you can't work around).

1) The 1.8L originally had an oil cooler and a coolant expansion tank. My 1.7 did have either. I got both on ebay (should have gotten them cheaper from a junkyard). I also needed the water pipe from a 1.8 to route the hoses to the cooler and expansion tank. Watch out the hoses for the cooler are real expensive. I think that I had to pay about $40 for them alone. 2) Different size clutch and fly wheel on the 1.8 (210mm if I remember right). I got a used flywheel for $25 and put in a new clutch (Went ahead and replaced all the seals at the same time made more)

3) Used the Cis-Lambda fuel system (1.8L JH used the same system) But the JH had shrouded injectors and needed a vacuum source to cool them. I got used shrouded injectors and went ahead and put new seals on the injectors and new seats in the head.

4) The Distributor on the 1.8L took a different shaped electrical plug. (one was oval and one was square) got right plug from a junkyard.

5) I kept my old coil and the 1.8 had some funky German Distributor cap that had different style wire connections so I swapped caps (cheap).

6) Different mounting for the A/C compressor on 1.8L so I had to use one less brace due to clearance for the dip stick, but worked fine.

In all it wasn't too bad. If you go to VWVortex.com they have a whole forum on engine swaps and also you could probably get all the additional parts that you need their from the "for sale" forum.

Reply to
sehaare