84 Jetta GL - Oil Question

Hello everyone I have a 84 Jetta GL the new question I have is my oil warning light goes on alot whenever the oil temp goes above 70 degrees celcius. Is there anything I can do to lower the temp of the oil. Right now I am running 10w30 Penzoil oil in the car should I maybe go to 5w30?? I am still new to the watercooled world I am so used to my old bug I had but I love my new Jetta. Thanks for everyones help ahead of time. Mike

Reply to
mike

Unless you're in the arctic, I'd go with wither 20W50 or 5W30 based on what my Bentley says for my '91 GTI's 1.8 engine, which shouldn't be that different from your Jetta.

Reply to
Matt B.

Mike, 10W30 is okay in the Winter and that is what I am currently using with my Jetta GL. However You don't want to go thinner, you want to go thicker as in 15W50 or 20W50. That will stop the oil warning light around 2200 RPM. That is usually where the sensor senses loss in pressure if you are lugging in a low gear. Using a 15W50 or 20W50 in the winter doesn't make sense either because it's so thick when it's cold and it could help blow or something when it's so cold.

Reply to
Peter Parker