'87 Golf gas/8v/ac - alternator question

Is it possible to replace just the brushes in this alternator? Thanks. Ken

Reply to
kwalters

"kwalters" wrote

To each his own. I would not bother. I would pull one from a U-remove-it or buy a rebuilt. In fact, I always have a spare from a U-remove-it. There is probably 4 or 5 of them in my local yard for 15 bucks that comes off in a couple of minutes. Other things can wear too in the alternator like the bearing. If the brushes are worn out chances are the bearing is pretty worn too.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Yes. I believe the voltage regulator and brush assembly are one unit. If the bearing on your alternator is still in good shape, you might want to spend the money to replace it, rather than the whole alternator. Depends on the price you can get on a new or rebuilt alternator. You'll pay between $20 and $50 for the new brushes depending on the brand (Bosch, Hella, KAE). I still have the original alternator in my 87 GTI 8V, and after 230,000 miles I've replaced the brushes only once. Good luck.

Kent

Reply to
Kent