87 GTi (8V) lost all oil

Hi,

My '87 GTi (8V) just dumped all its oil on the freeway today. I had it towed and it is sitting in my driveway. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow! It looks like the oil came from the oil filter / oil cooler area. If anyone else has had this happen, I'd really appreciate any insights you might be able to share before I tear into it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Randolph

Yeah, the o-ring that fits between the oil cooler and the flange eventually gets old and gives way. I had this happen a couple years ago. Thinking that it was just that damn oil pressure buzzer acting up, I drove the remaining mile home. My engine suffered no ill effect from this, but I'm told that you can destroy bearings pretty fast when this happens.

If you shut it down pretty quick, I would think that your engine is okay. Replace the o-ring and the oil and you'll be good to go. Otherwise, you may be in for a bearing job.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

Once I was in a hurry and didn't check that the o-ring came off with the filter when I was replacing it. Put the new filter on and drove off (now with 2 o rings). Made it about 1 mile before the alrarm went off and it spewed about 2 quarts. Shut it down quick so no harm done except I had to hike back home.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Thanks to all who replied. It was the O-ring between the cooler and the flange. It was torn and was about as soft an flexible as a rice cracker. I got a new O-ring from the dealer the afternoon and will put it in tomorrow. Another sub-$10 repair.

The car was st>

Reply to
Randolph

Job complete. Instead of removing coolant hoses to get the oil cooler free from the oil pipe that runs through it I was able to unscrew the pipe (see the "A2 Oil Cooler Question" thread). To do this I pushed the oil cooler down as far as it would go and loosened the pipe using vise grips on the unthreaded portion of the pipe (with layers of paper towel in-between to avoid metal shavings coming off the pipe).

Before putting it together again I cut a slot at the bottom of the pipe so that it will be easy to remove next time it needs to come out (hopefully in another 16 years and 180 000 miles).

After I got everyth>

Reply to
Randolph

good and cheap trick for the R&I of that pipe Randolph. I like it!

Next time, or at any oil change, fill up the oil filter in the outer holes with the new oil and put a little oil in the center oil. Helps lessen that nerve wracking moment! ;-)

Congrats to you and Happy Holidays! later, dave

Reply to
dave