A2 Jetta not starting. distributor???

I have a 92, Jetta 8v thats not starting. It cranks and I can see the flywheel spin but the cranking noise is much softer and quieter than when it was okay. I pulled off the distributor cap and cranked but the the rotor did not move. Does this sound like a bad distributor? Earlier I had to set the timing every few days so im thinking distributor again?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
jim

sounds like the timing belt is bad later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

thanks. just checked and the belt lost about 6 or more of its teeth. When I crank I dont see the belt move. Any suggestions on what i can check next?

Jim

dave wrote:

Reply to
jim

Your piggy-bank?

:-(

Charles

Reply to
Charles DH Williams

Good now that you know what is bad, replace the timing belt and it's tensioner! Also inspect those three seals for possible leakage, and the V-Belts for cracking. Water pump OK?

Don't you love the easy fixes? Happy Holidays! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Ray Respicio