89 Jetta, Questioning it's condition

Hi,

My Trunk lamp goes on when I turn on the head-light (and there is no switch on the trunk-lid), but references I see suggest that there should be a switch near the latch on the lid.

Question is, did some stupid technician screwed up the switch and simply re-wired the trunk lamp? Or is this a standard feature on lower models? I have a Jetta CL, BTW.

And, does the glovebox lamp have a switch? Or is it linked to head-light as well?

Also, my rear speakers rattle like hell, and I noticed that both the front and rear speakers are simply taped together to go into the Radio/Cassette unit (of course left and right are seperate, but front and rear are electrically on the same wire), and there isn't any sort of split anywhere. Isn't it true that you need some sort of low-pass filter to split the speakers? Is this another screw up by the technician?

How are the speakers wired up in your 89 Jetta? I see only one output for each of left and right on my factory Blaupunkt unit.

Reply to
David Lo

I have seen two varieties. On the first there is a switch on the glove box lamp that you have to turn on and off manually. The light will not come on unless your parking or head lights are on. The other variety has a refrigerator type switch that turns on the glove box light when you open the glove box. I do not know if you have to turn on your headlights for this variety.

Could the rear speakers be after market? You do not need filters if you are connecting two full-range speakers together. (You usually will need filter if you are mixing full range, tweeters, woofers or sub woofers). If you connect together two 4 ohm speakers (in parallel) you end up with

2 ohms and you have to make sure the stereo is able to drive 2 ohms (or whatever impedance you get with the speakers in your car).
Reply to
Randolph

Mine has a switch to the fat left of the latch on the lid. My glove box light also operated off of a lever, both my 92 golf and 88 jetta are like that.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Sorry, far left, left from my fat one :)

Radio/Cassette

Reply to
Mustangbrad

The trunk light is working correctly and this is how it was designed. The speakers are rattling so badly because the paper cones in the speakers are likely destroyed from age. Seen both cases on more than

1 of my old jettas. Time to replace the speakers to get rid of the rattle.

For the glove box, the light will likely go on/off as you open/close the glove box (look for a little spring switch near the latch). There is no manual switch that I'm aware of.

TOE

Reply to
TOE

my 92 appears to have the same type of system... no switch...I've looked for it, but nothing found....

Reply to
Chris