92 Cabriolet. Name this part...

There is a small part mounted behind the valve cover, it looks like a big nut with a large bolt-type thing threaded into it. A single black wire protrudes from one end. It is mounted using one of the vale-cover nuts.

I have been totally unable to work out what this is working from the Bentley manual and from teh wiring dagrams. My first thought was a knock sensor but the diagram shows that that has *three* wires. Does anyone know what this thing is and ideally where it fits in the wiring diagram?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

It's the air temp sensor for the cooling fan after-run .

Reply to
Terry Thorne

hmm. Interesting. And looking at it, it looks like it feeds into the digifant. I wonder if *it* could be causing my problems with the car refusing to start. Any idea if it is a switch or a resistance/temperature thing?

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

It should feed to ground and to the rad fan relay. When the switch inside closes it grounds causing the rad fan relay to turn on. It may go into the computer, not sure.

Reply to
Mustangbrad