'92 Golf ignition switch replacement- steering column details

I need to dismantle the upper steering column to replace a faulty ignition switch on my '92 Golf. Following Bentley, I removed the steering wheel and column stalk switches. At this point what I'm seeing doesn't agree with Bentley. While Bentley describes a lock washer holding a spring, similar to the picture in

what I'm seeing is a lot more like the A3 column shown in

where a long splined bushing sits over the spring.

Bentley has a cryptic note to the effect that VW changed the steering column design on the A2 in '89 to add a splined adapter, but gives no details.

Am I correct in assuming that the '92 A2 uses the A3 design? I'm preparing to pull off the splined adapter (sounds like a real treat, but there is lots of advice on the web on how to do this job). I want to make sure there are no more little surprises buried underneath it. Fortunately the shear bolt holding the column housing is loose (not even finger tight), so that should come off easily.

Thanks in advance!

Garry

PS based on the number of accounts of DIY replacement posted on the web, it looks like ignition switch failure is epidemic on A2s and A3s. Too bad VW didn't make the mounting screw accessible from the outer side of the column (or use a suitably rugged switch).

Reply to
ngt

IMHO removal of the splined bushing is the hardest part of the job! Maybe the '92 Golf you have is really close to the '93 models which should have the splined bushing. Not sure.

Buy your ign switch from the dealer! I believe that heat causes the tiny springs inside of the switch to lose their tension. I had replaced the springs in one, rebuilding it, and got it to last longer than an aftermarket switch! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1