92 golf runs, cuts out, won't restart

my 92 golf for a while has died suddenly while running down the highway. usually it restarted while still moving at 40. once in a while it wouldn't restart for a short sit. once just rolling it a smidge seemed to start it, but it might have been the pause. problem increased in frequency of incidents and then times it wouldn't restart and finally, the time it must sit to restart. still start up after an hour. don't dare drive! any ideas out there?

Reply to
terry

Darryl

Not sure if there even is such an animal on your engine, but have had very similar issues when an ignition module was on its way out. First it stalled but immediately fired...then I had to wait a while, then it got to where I had to wait an hour or more, especially if it was a warm day.

Reply to
Tony Bad

is there a quick and easy way to determine if i have an ingition module on this 92 golf? thx.

Reply to
terry

Terry, change your fuel pump relay.

Reply to
fpharryc

there even is such an animal on your engine, but have had very

Well, I know that the parts list for a Golf list an ignition control unit, which I assume is similar to an ign. module. The way I checked was that when it runs you are obviously getting a spark...as soon as it stalls, check to see if you are getting any spark...if yes...it may be one of the other things folks have suggested...if no spark, I'd look into the ignition system.

Reply to
Tony Bad