94 Jetta Mirror Broken

The driver's side mirror is broken in my 1994 Jetta with power mirrors. Just the glass is smashed, the plastic isn't broken. Can one replace just the mirror? What would be involved in replacing it.(the mirror) Thanks! John

Reply to
John Sutton

its a piece of cake,they just pop in/out,also check out 1-800 VWPARTS,weve been using them for all our 3 vw vechs,since our quantum days for very good /gauranteed/checked out used parts....once we got an elec. heated /remote/sideview mirror glass and the housing(color matched) for not much over what the dealer was charging just for the glass alone.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

Two years ago the mirror glass only cost $22 at the dealer. It is always good to ask there first. ;-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

maybe for the plain glass w/o the other items........i called two VW dealers in my area,the price for the glass for an (elec/heated/remote mirror glass) was in the 80$ range,i got a color matched housing w/ elec/remote/heated mirror glass for 96$ incl.shipping.do whats best for you.good luck

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

FWIW, the dealer probably isn't that "greedy" on this item. I've replaced both mirror glasses on my '91 GTI. The first I got from Potter at

The second I just went to the dealer. Granted this was a few years apart, but the price was about the same (I forget exactly but it was under $40 each). My mirrors though are remote (not power though) and non-heated.

My '91 GTI and my '00 Eurovan both have mirrors that have the glass glued to a plastic backing which in turn just snaps into the mirror housing. I'd suspect therefore the Jetta's design shouldn't be any different. Just move the mirror to one side so you can get your fingers in there and gently pry it out. Since yours is already broken, I recommend using gloves so you don't cut yourself.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yep, especially when you can get the wholesale discount. :-)

Most website stuff is not of good quality and if the wholesale discount is the same price, I go to the dealer.

There are some things that are just plain crazy to buy at the dealer or they do not carry it anymore.

Reply to
Peter Parker