Mirror

It looks like the cables are frozen : you adjust manually but cables are locked and mirror doesn't stay...perhaps some lubricant spraying at the back of the mirror may help

Reply to
al

Remote manual control (cable type) will not adjust to full out position or full up position. Its on the driver's/left hand side. Have examined the internal cables in the mirror housing. Can't determine if anything is broken. Currently, best I can do is look at the side of the car and slightly down through the mirror. I can force the mirror to the proper position, but won't stay there. The remote control does operate the mirror position.

Is there a way to determine what is broken? How do I disassemble/reassemble? Maybe a jerry-rig, if not?

88 VW Fox wagon.
Reply to
Jonny

On my Rabbits you have to twist the cables one revolution before mounting back in door to keep the mirror from shaking. You do not state where you are applying force when you force the mirror in to place. On the mirror or on the adjustment knob? Blocks of wood acting as wedges my jerry rig it.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Am physically moving the mirror with my hand. This when I force the mirror to the more appropriate position. Again, mirror does not stay in that position. No unusual effort/binding noted. Just won't stay in place.

Reply to
Jonny

No good answer or experience. Is the adjusting knob moving about when you move the mirror? Is there any stuff behind the mirror that is pushing back on your adjustment?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Adjusting knob moves fine. Just won't move the mirror to the area I need it to see behind me on left hand side. Adjusting knob does move the mirror and mirror stays in that position. Nothing behind the mirror to hinder. There's nothing pushing back that I can see.

Reply to
Jonny