96 Jetta

96 Jetta 125k miles Manual Transmission.

My Jetta started to 'slip' today while cruising the highway in 5th gear. It happened a couple times but recovered after letting up on the gas a little. After making it to my destination I later noticed that I was leaking 'something' rather heavily.

I spoke to the local / private VW guy that does most of my work. He thought the leak was a clear indication that the transmission was shot and would need to be replaced. He also recommended replacing the clutch (I believe it's original).

He estimated $1350. New Clutch and Refurbed Trans. - Is this a fair price? Is it worth doing the work? I know I will also need new struts front and back in the next 6 months... not to mention tires.

I will know for sure tomorrow when he gets a chance to look at it in the shop.

FWIW - This shop has been very good and reliable for everything I have had done in the past.

Thanks for any opinions and advice.

Reply to
Leo

Sorry to say, he may be right. The slipping is a sign of the need for a new clutch. I would guess he identified the fluid as transmission fluid and, while it may not be a sign that the transmission is shot, it does mean something is leaking at best. He may have noticed a crack in the housing for example and that would indicate it is gone.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My guess the differential cam apart and wore a hole in the case. Not sure where you live but if it's close to Western PA I have a trans here all ready to go.

Reply to
Woodchuck

No, other side of the state. Does the price seem fair?

Reply to
Leo

figure 5 hours labor at the most and the rest in parts. Price sounds good considering a VW remanufactres unit is around 2000 just for the trans alone.

Reply to
Woodchuck