96 Jetta central locking problem

My 96 jetta doesn't lock all the doors anymore. The pump/control module just whines for about 30 seconds then quits. This may be have an obvious answer (like: Yes, fool!) but is this simply a matter of replacing the control module? What's the likelihood of a leak elsewhere in the tubing? How would I check for that?

Also, is the replacement as easy as the Bentley manual implies, just pop it out, unplug the wires and tubing, put said wires and tubing in the new unit, and pop in?

Thanks.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

check the hoses in all the door jams!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Likely hood is reasonably high. Get your ears out and listen at the doors, pillars and rockers. There's a Y fitting under the rear driver's side seat that cracked on mine. Simple to replace with a 'generic' I got.

You probably won't find anything to fit the metric tubing if you're in the US. Easy fix is to slide rubber vacuum tubing over the existing plastic tubing, then use the correct size fittings for that hose you used.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Just a followup. Tried your suggestion, hit the button to unlock, and listened at the doorposts and the back seat. BINGO! Driver's side rear seat had a hissing sound, and voila', the T-connector had broken. One trip to the auto parts store, and 30 minutes later, I'm good to go. Thanks to you both for helping out.

BTW, this may be obvious, but the vacuum tubing at the store needed to be put in boiling water for a minute or so to loosen it up to slide over the Tee connections and the VW tubing.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

That works.

I've also got some industrial rubber lube I got a sample bottle of years ago. Slick wet, but dries tacky.

For this purpose you can do the same thing with a soapy water solution. Soapy water isn't good for things that will be rewet, like tire beads...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol