'99 Passat - Brake problem

After driving my '99 Passat (90k miles) at high speeds (up to 125 mph) for almost an hour, the car made a grinding noise while braking. At first I expected worn out brakes but everything looks fine. Since then, whenever I drive over 120 mph, even if it is for less than a few minutes, there will be a grinding noise while braking. After I drive the car for about 4 hours at speeds between 80 and 100 mph, no sounds while braking. Does anyone here have an idea if this is common for Passat's and what causes the grinding noise.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Baudolino

With the speed limits in the USA only a max around 70 I would know how one could drive like that. Ah... wait a minutes, I just remembered that there's a recall for such a issue.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Well, I must have missed the recall. I believe that by mandating the speed to be limited at 128 mph, the NHTSA considers it acceptable to drive at this speed. Besides that, our governor once claimed that the economy is moving at

100 mph, I'm just doing my best in keeping up.

The reason I asked is not because I don't like a grinding noise after the few times I drive over 120 mph, I just want to be sure it's not something that will show up in a few months at far lower speeds.

Reply to
Baudolino

That's when the dealer calls the cops on the customer and verifies his high speed with the new black box in the vehicle.

:-)

Besides, Passats are known to be too heavy for the same brake design used on the rest of the VW models. Isn't it funny how things don't change until the vehicle outgrows the old design and then they have to fudge something.

Reply to
Peter Parker