Amazing Passat W8 vs Corvette ZO6 Video

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:03:18 -0700, PJ wrote something wonderfully witty:

Now, now don't get about dissing the CTS-V now. Just bought a Northstar SRX, same basic platform stretched out station wagon style. Ain't no vette, but the Vette couldn't carry what this baby does either. 320 hp in a Station Wagon type vehicle ain't that bad., Oh I forget, they're Cross-Over SUV's not Station Wagons. Whatever.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

That's because they're not the same type of car... family car vs. sports car.

Reply to
db

Production Lingenfelter Corvette...

ZÿRiX

LMFAO

Reply to
ZÿRiX

Another huge problem with that Corvette is that it's only 2 wheel drive. The Brabus Convertible with 730BHB had major problems on the track where it couldn't beat less powerful cars like the Enzo Ferrari on Top Gear's tests because it had too much power for 2 wheel drive to handle. That's a huge advantage that VWs with 650+ BHP have. The have an excellent 4motion system that helps them during acceleration and cornering compared to 2 wheel drive competitors.

Reply to
Sal

:>On Jul 14, 4:33 pm, Sarah Czepiel wrote: :>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:52:14 -0700, Sal :>> wrote: :>>

:>> What car do *you* own Sal? What car do *you* drive Sal? :>

:>It's a VW,

Really. Got a piccy, Sal?

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

:>What what do you expect, a 3500lbs car with a 138 BHP Diesel engine is :>not MEANT to be entertaining to drive,

As I said, outclassed by a Corvette .....

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

:>On Jul 14, 9:28 pm, The Wolf With the Red Roses snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote: :>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:31:24 -0700, Sal wrote :>> something wonderfully witty: :>>

:>> >It's a BRAND new car, up till a few weeks ago it was a prototype, it's :>> >just gone into production. :>>

:>> WTF, the W8 has been around since `04. :>

:>If you'd actually read the thread, you'd realize that the GTI W12 Twin :>Turbo was being discussed there.

See how being a top posting poser makes you look silly?

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Of course he gets it. He was the original troll.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

While I don't think the US will be a dominate as it once was, I still think the US will be a major power in years to come. Perhaps you forgot how we got to be one.

Reply to
db

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:27:40 -0500, db wrote something wonderfully witty:

WAR, what is good for -- HUNH, absolutely World Domination. Hunh!

Say it again.

Reply to
The Wolf With the Red Roses

==========snip ======================

Not at all. First year entry -- CTS-V (Brent Wiedner) ran second in class this year behind a Mustang GT500 and ahead of Bill Kirschner's Corvette.

Brent also did well in the 1/2 mile 'shootout.' Only similar car that finished ahead of him was a Mercedes E55. A much pricier piece of iron.

I guess I failed in making the point--VAGs marques (including Bentley) are present on Western Highways in fair numbers. I've not seen W8 or W12 engined cars competing in either the Nevada or Mexican open road events. I do see a large number of LS-1 and LS-2 engined cars in those events--and some of those engines are found in the unlimited class running upward of 180mph with Panteras, Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Where are VAG owners?

I think the Silver State events are a good place for them to start--probably in the Touring Class. For less than four grand, an affectionado can cover the preparation/entry costs, get sweaty in the cockpit and maybe carry home an award.

I'd hazard though that the CTS-V and AMG drivers sweat less. :-)

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

Have you seen the list of the top 18 Fastest Cars on the needforspeed website all of the were European? There are plenty of VAG cars like the Audi TT Bimoto on there and not even one American car was fast enough to make the top 18. Here are just a few of the Volkswagen Auto Group cars on there that were 200 MPH

  • Why would VAG cars go to some race where gocarts like Corvettes are racing when they can race with the big boys instead? Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear has driven thousands of the best and fastest cars in the world and he knows that American Cars SUCK, his opinion is very educated as he's actually driven thousands of cars and their limits and compared them all.

1

Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - 409 km/h (402 km/h GPS) High Speed test by Auto Motor Und Sport For the video visit "VIDEOS - CARS & MOTOS"

2

Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - 407 km/h (GPS) High Speed Test by Top Gear For the video visit "VIDEOS - CARS & MOTOS"

3

Bugatti Veyron - 402 km/h High speed test by Car And Driver

10

Audi TT MTM Bimoto - 384 km/h GPS High speed by MTM at Papenburg

11

Audi TT Bimoto MTM - 373 km/h High speed test on the Nardo circuit by Auto Motor Und Sport

13

Audi TT Bimoto MTM - 371 km/h For the video visit "VIDEOS - CARS & MOTO"

26

Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 - 352 km/h (219 mph) Capristo - Holland For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"

48

Lamborghini Diablo - 340 km/h For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"

59

Lamborghini Diablo SV - 338 km/h Michael Reithofer (Speedfreak) - Germany

63

Bentley Continental GT - 336 km/h Colin

- Germany

64

Lamborghini Gallardo - 335 km/h (208 mph) Giorgio S @ Lamborghini, High speed test on Nardo

65 Bentley Flying Spur - 335 km/h (208 mph) High speed test

66 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera 335 km/h French magazine, Sport Auto n=B0546 For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"

70

Lamborghini Murcielago LP 640 - 333 km/h (207 mph) Jeremy Clarkson @ Top Gear - UK For the video visit "VIDEOS -CARS & MOTOS"

73

VW Golf HGP R32 Biturbo - 333 km/h Nardo Pirelli Test 2004

77

Lamborghini Gallardo - 332 km/h Ivan G

The fastest Corvette on the site was a higly modified Z06

85

Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 - 330 km/h PAR-H

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Sal

Reply to
Jim Behning

I just read a Corvette review by Jeremy Clarkson while not as glowing as the reviews he gives on Ferrari, still it was not a horrid review as you suggest.

Whatever happened to your post about the cars you own now and >Have you seen the list of the top 18 Fastest Cars on the needforspeed

Reply to
Jim Behning

Since when does a Passat W8 cost $97K? Do you live in one of those European countries with outlandish taxes on cars? Back when the W8 was on sale in the US, it cost about $38K.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Math isn't your strong suit, is it? The B5 Passat's 2.8L V6 made 190 HP. That's about 68 HP/L. Multiply that by the W8's 4.0L and you get... 271 HP, which is pretty damn close to VW's rating of 270 HP. So where the hell do you get 400 HP? (Apart from your delusional fanboy fantasies, I mean.)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

That's true *today*. During the time when the Passat W8 was for sale, it was most certainly not.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

"It's a VW?" Gee, Sal, that leaves quite a bit of latitude. You could drive a rusted-out '74 Bug for all we know.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith