What is "D2" regarding 1995 VR6 12V Steel Oil Pan Gasket

Hello,

I have searched the web high and low with no answer so far...

My Bentley Manual on CD specifies that when I replace the oil pan gasket on this car I should coat the mating surfaces with "D2".

The oil pan gasket is Rubber and the oil pan is Steel.

I have seen many references on the web to using Silicone but they are either regarding the newer, Cast oil pans or they are specifically recommending to NOT use silicone in addition to the rubber oil pan gasket.

Does anyone know what D2 is? Has anyone out there replaced the rubber gasket and not used any additional "stuff" on the gasket and had everything turn out ok?

My car has 195k miles and obviously is old so I think I should replace the gasket while I have my engine apart.

Many thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mark