Bentley manual

As usual, I referenced the Bentley manual before changing the valve cover gasket on the 88 Fox. I quoted "cylinder head cover gasket" as noted in the manual over the phone to the local parts dealer. As usual, they figured out what the Bentley manual was talking about in standard terms used for that, "valve cover gasket".

Hoped that hex shoulder bolt holding the upper timing cover used an allen wrench head. Could not see it very well due to the angle of sight above the radiator was only obvious way. After trial and error found a allen head wrench that did the job.

All those vacuum hoses on the fuel injection manifold, adjacent to the valve cover, were obviously in the way. Not mentioned in the Bentley manual.

The throttle cable linkage restraint above the valve cover has two metal connectors. Both had to be removed, along with the throttle cable. Throttle cable in place prevents upwards movement of the valve cover for removal purposes. Not mentioned in the Bentley manual.

The allthread in the block that holds the hex shoulder bolt for the upper timing cover is a problem in reassembly. The upper timing cover has a thick rubber grommet in that area. The grommet will catch on that allthread, preventing it from being in the hole area of the grommet. One has to work the grommet around the allthread while attaching the upper timing cover, and before bolting it from above on the valve cover. Also found that I could see the allthread by looking through the grill on the front of the VW. Sure would have been easier if I had known that when fishing for the correct allen head wrench for the shoulder bolt. Not mentioned in the Bentley manual.

Otherwise uneventful procedure. Thanks to Robert Bentley.

Reply to
Jonny

Now you know what we go through!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

The Bentley is usually pretty good, but I have found omissions in electrical diagrams and unnecessary procedures, like removing the wiper transmission to replace the wiper motor. Don't actually have to.

Bentley has some problems but it sure beats a Chiltons! {shudder}

Reply to
tylernt

I don't know about he Chiltons but I have all the Haynes books to suppliment my Bentley. Sometimes the Haynes gives you more practical options than the dry reading in between the lines Bentley. Haynes also has pics instead of drawings.

Reply to
Peter Parker