Cabrio Question

At what point did the Cabrio stop being manufactured in Germany and start in Mexico? I've noticed on a couple Carfax reports it's different.

--S. John

Reply to
S John M-M

Not sure but by VIN number all WVW are Germany and 9BW & 3VW are Mexico and Brazil, or Brazil & Mexico. I always get then mixed up.

Reply to
Woodchuck
3A-3W Mexico and 9A-9E Brazil

Reply to
VWGirl

Is this just in regards to the MKIII based Cabrio they discontinued in 2002? Can someone link to a site where there's a breakdown of the Cabrio evolution, or post it? I'm a little confused because I've been told that they were originally Golf 2-doors that were sent to Karmann for the Cabrio coachwork. But I've having trouble figuring where/when that ended. Also, anyone ever tried doing a 2.0, 16 valve transplant into a 91' Cabrio? Should be pretty straightforward, right?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Yeah, actually, I'd love to see a site like that too-- is it me or is there shamefully little information about this model on the 'Net in general. LOL.

Anyhow looking at the vin indicators that were posted here, according to what I'm seeing as sample represented on ebay, 1996 seems to be the final year they were built in Germany (well, the one here in the U.S. anyhow).

This also brings about the question: is the "New Beetle Convertible" really an appropriate replacement for the Cabrio? The two cars don't seem to possess at all the same personality-- would it really have been overly redundant to have offered both? Oh well.

--S. John

--"habeo lacam"

Reply to
S John M-M