Cleaning valve body

My 84 Scirocco currently have a AT. While I wait until I am ready to do the swap to MT, I decided to go play a bit with the tranny. So, its problem is that it only upshifts if you back off the gas pedal almost to the point you are not touching it. Downshifting is not an issue. Reading through the shop manual, they suggested to take the tranny valve body out and soak it in some cleaner/solvent thingie. Now, what should I use to do the deed?

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Try cleaning yjr govenor first.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Are the Accelerator cables and levers working freely at the transmission? I am thinking that one of them is sticking in the 'downshift' position, if that is possible.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I believe I tried that, but I am willing to try it again. =)

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

My 92 Passat had a similar problem. I replaced the filter and the upshifting improved considerably

As to the valve body, I took mine out and found it to be clean.

Mauricio Tavares wrote:

Reply to
ronh

I have a new filter, so that is a given. I did not like finding some very fine metal powder in the filter.

Also, I noticed the paint inside the transmission pan had cracked at a few points where it was dinged. I wonder if some of that has gone somewhere it should not. I also am thinking on taking the pan and have it hot tanked to remove the paint but do not paint the inside anymore. I do not even know why it was painted inside in the first place. :P

Mine is covered at a few points with a fine metal powder, the kind that looks gray and you only know it is powder when you run your finger through it. So I took the valve body completely apart (unfortunately, I made a point to keep the different valves in separate and labelled (based on the exploded view in the Bentley) ziplock bags. ;) and now want to find the best way to clean the empty valve body itself.

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

I clean mine with white gas.

Reply to