Coil Packs...

Evening All, Just a quick post to say Hi! I am a huge VW fan since the purchase of my 02 VW GTI 1.8T Unfortunately...I have had serious issues with the coil packs. The VW Techs at Fairfax VW has "fixed and replaced them with the new and improved models"

6 TIMES!!

Anyone have any advice, or comments?

DasGTI

Reply to
Kevin Taylor

Are they replacing the coil packs because they are failing permanently(i.e misfiring constantly/undriveable) or are you having intermittent misfiring? VW has a tech bulletin about reflashing the ECM on 1.8T engines to correct an intermittent cold-start misfire problem. Worth checking into.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
J Lantrip

Reply to
el lobo

Anyone know the # for this? My wife's 2002 Turbo Beetle S has this problem. Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Don't think your 2000 has the same coils as the newer cars.

permanently(i.e

Reply to
Woodchuck

Take it to the dealer and have them check the coils and possible ECM flash! The part number on the coils must be checked along with the software level of the ECU.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Has the ECM been reflashed with the update? I'm to lazy to boot up my laptop that has that info, but there is a update for some of the turbos that the dealer can do.

Also, I've seen a handful of the turbo engines with wiring harness issues. Most of the time it is pretty easy to spot, the ground wire that is between coil #1 and #2, if the sleeve of the wire is cracked open, then one might want to see about replacing the engine side harness.

Lastly, how many miles on the spark plugs, and what spark plugs are in there (if you answer Bosch Platuim plugs, everyone point at you and laugh).

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Why?