what do you do when even the shop can't figure it out?

I have an 89 fox with a 1.8 motor (out of a jetta) with about 75k miles. a couple months ago it wouldn't run cold. It would start great, but I'd have to keep starting it (10-20 times) until it was warm enough to keep running, then it would be fine. I tried a bunch of stuff myself, like new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel & air filter, I also tried different (from an extra motor) thermo switch, cold start valve, fuel pump check valve and probably other stuff i can't remember. Finally I took it to the a shop known for VW expertise. They had it for about 4 days and replaced the plenum gasket and did some adjustments. It then started and ran better, but when warm it would stall at stop lights unless I rolled my foot over on the gas to keep the revs up. I took it back and they adjusted again, same problem and I took it back again, (luckily they haven't charged me for the times I took it back), now I'm back to where it won't run cold and this afternoon it took me 10 min. to get the car started and warmed enough so I could be on my way.

I had a Gti once that had the problem of stalling unless you kept the revs up but not this bad. Any ideas out there?

Reply to
tom collins

Have you checked the idle air motor? or the hose attached to it? One of my cars had a similar problem, and the little air motor that is hidden behind the left side of the intake manifold had a small cut in the hose that runs to the underside of the intake hose.

Another reason maybe that the throttle plates maybe gummed up. It changes the air/fuel ratio at idle, and would explain why the vw shop could tune it to run well hot or cold, but not both. Just pull off the intake boot at the fuel distributor and the t-plate and look for crud around the rim. you can blow it off with carb cleaner.

The HairyBeast

Reply to
Randolph

I'd also suggest the idle speed valve, though I'm surprised that a decent mechanic didn't check this after the symptoms you describe. the valve itself can be cleaned with throttle body cleaner and can sometimes be brought back to life. Vacuum leaks can also cause this problem, evidently; they can seal up when the hoses get warmer. Take a look at Ken's Digifant page (do a google search), too. Lots of good info there.

good luck, Chris

Reply to
starburst

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm gonna call the shop on Monday to see if they've eliminated any. I believe from looking at the engine and reading the Bentley manual, that I have CIS-E injection, if that makes any difference.

Reply to
tom collins