diesel starting problems

I have a 94 jetta diesel, and I can get it started, and it runs great, but if I turn it off and then immediately try and start it again, it won't start. It turns over and over and over.

Any suggestions before I have to take it to a dealer?

Reply to
bushmaster

How can you "get it started" and then "it won't start" Do you mean it won't start until ????

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I crank it over, it usually takes up to 4 min, and then it starts. It runs fine. I let it run for awhile, and then when I shut if off, and then try to restart, it won't start at all. Then it has to sit for awhile before I try again.

Reply to
bushmaster

Take a close look at the fuel lines, especially around the fuel filter and all the fittings on the fuel filter. If you have a leak you could be getting air in the system.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just a guess but it kind of sounds like it might be an almost- clogged fuel filter. Once it has a chance to sit a few minutes, the filter fills back up but after it's run a few minutes, there isn't enough fuel in the filter to get it started again.

I don't remember if they have a high pressure pump in the tank but if so, that could be it, too. So at first gasp, I'd have to say either filter or pump.

Go with the cheap fix first, of course, unless someone else comes up with something they have actual experience with. Good luck and let us know what cures it. Cheers, jc

Reply to
jc

It looked as if the fuel filter hadn't been changed if awhile. I'm going to buy a new fuel filter and air filter and then I'll let you know if this helps.

Just wondering if there is a fuel sensor or something?

Reply to
bushmaster

Hi I changed the fuel filter and air filter. Checked in the trunk under the little hatch for corrosion, but it was still hard starting. We got a little frustrated, so one time when we tried to start it and it wouldn't start, we hit the horn and the lights came on and then it started. This made us wonder, but we decided to take it to a place that just worked on vw's. I got the car started, drove it approx 35km to the shop and left it there for him to look at today. He called us and said that my fuel filter was dead, and he could not even get it started. I asked him if it was dead, how did I start it and drive it, but he couldn't answer me. I went out to the shop and tried to start the car and I happened to changed the position of the adj steering wheel and then the lights came on and it started right away. I again drove it home and then when I tried to start it again, it didn't want to until I moved the steering wheel again. A friend of ours hear us trying to start the car, and he came over and said that the problem was in the ignition, not the fuel pump. It seems that there is possibly a bad wire in the steering column. Has anyone ever seen the problem where if you put the adj steering wheel down and push to the inside, the car will start.

Reply to
bushmaster

Not all that unusual. It might be a lot of different places. Do you have a lot of keys and things on your key ring? If so my bet is the lock needs replaced due to the weight.

With this new information it should not be difficult to find and fix.

That said, it would not explain the "I crank it over, it usually takes up to 4 min, and then it starts" Maybe you fixed that with the filter change or other work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Did you giggle the ignition switch to see if yours is failing? It might be the wiring or the ignition itself.

BTW, I hope you didn't pay a penny out to that so called VW only shop. He sounds like he can't tie his own shoe strings.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Peter Parker

I'm not going to prentend that I know diesels, but, all of the recent major issues with my 94Passat have electrically related. Brake issue (no boost pump function), lack of HVAC airflow, and interaction between the turn signal and windshield wipers was all traced back to issues in the load reduction or X circuit. Replaced the load reduction relay (original part was marked 40A 12v, while the new part, from the dealer, was marked 70A 12v) and the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Total cost of parts was less than $50 (the relay is a dealer part, you can get the ignition switch from germanautoparts.com) and installation wasn't that big of deal. If your car is newer (ie with airbag) the ignition switch is a slightly bigger, but still managable, issue. All troubles have been rectified.

BTW, that is the second ignition switch the green beast has needed in her 12 year life with me. If you dig around in the various VW-centric forums, you will see the ignition switch issue is quite common.

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos

Hi I took it to the dealer and paid $105 (not the $1050 that the other guy wanted to charge me) for an ignition switch. The car starts perfect now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Cheryl

Reply to
bushmaster