how to fix Squeaky doors in my jetta?

Howdy,

My '97 Jetta TDI has had a hard life - long roadtrips through mountains, dirt roads through the Arctic Circle, dragging a ridiculously heavy trailer this summer, 2 accidents totalling $9000 in body work...

This may not be a volkswagen specific question, but more a body work question. Even on somewhat uneven pavement, I get this high loud squeeking from the doors. While parked you can nudge the doors up and down maybe 1/2 a millimeter and recreate the sound. It seems to come from the backs, not where the hinges are.

Can I do anything about this cheaply? I have sprayed lithium grease in the latching mechanism, but that only helped a little, and not for very long.

regards, KL

Reply to
Keith Loyd

I wonder if a "striker post" replacement would help.

Is the plastic on yours intact?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

In addition to Tom's suggestion, which is good, try a dry spray lube on all the gaskets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it is intact, just put a little white grease on it. works wonders.

Reply to
Matt B.

silicone the door seals!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Just be careful if you do this with a spray silicone. Supposedly if you do this and suck the overspray into the intake you'll screw up your MAF or O2 sensors. Do it outside with the car's engine OFF.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol