Don't buy a VW

You will be sorry. They are poorly made. Their parts fail frequently. They are difficult to work on. They are expensive to fix. VW of America is unconcerned.

If you need some convicing, try this out: Go into a dealership and ask how you would go about replacing a headlight bulb yourself.

Reply to
Alan Deaton

My service department manager walked out with me to my car, opened my hood and walked over the procedure for changing the bulbs so I could do it next time. They even gave me a free rear running light bulb when we discovered that one had burnt out.... But then again, I deal with Volkswagen of Canada.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Don't you have anything better to do with your life?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Try this at any dealership...then get a bus pass.

Reply to
Tony Bad

He was doing well until this one...

In rec.autos.*, you'll probably find more people who love working on threir car. Difficult = lacking proper tools.

1) Two free tie-rod ends during a front-end alignment. 2) Tranny bearings pressed for free 3) During one tranny job (expecting to spend $$$), I was give the 'frequent buyer' (or employee) discount which stands 3 years later.

Your rating as a troll: 3/10

Reply to
Darryl

Headlights are overrated. Mine have been burned out for years. At night, I just lay into the horn through intersections and scream wooooohooooo out the window.

Reply to
John Rutledge

Except people like you or those who own newer A4 models. See below...

I don't see you working on any of your own vehicle. I don't even think you change the oil and filter yourself.

I rate this troll an 8/10 because his list of reasons was too short.

HTH

Reply to
Peter Parker

I can't wait until this troll looks under the hood of any rice-burner made in the past 20 years...

It takes me 4 hours (or less) to replace a clutch on my '89 Golf. It took me over 10 to do the same on my '84 (turbo) Colt.

Tim Wohlford El Mexicano Golf, 246,000 miles

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

Lol. The bearings were pressed for free. The case was open because I was rebuiling the tranny and don't have a press handy. The points were used to illustrate the friendly and giving nature of the dealership I deal with on occasion.

Because of your idiotic comment regarding oil changes, I've reconsidered the troll rating. It now stands at 3.5. Peter Parker, eh? Heh.

Reply to
Darryl

Whats so hard about changing the headlights? I've done both dims and a drivers side bright on my 2k Golf. No problem. Mind you you have to actually know what a head light is and have some kind of ability to put parts together. Said golf has 169 000km with nothing but proper maintenance and rear brakes.

Reply to
robert Jones

Amen, if you can't change a headlight. they might as well take your DL because most likely you will screw up anything that requires hand-eye coordination. Whatever way the dealer harasses you after your question seems appropriate to me. The biggest problem with the passenger side light on 1999 passat's is that you have to remember to remove the screwdriver from the engine compartment before slamming your hood.

What's next, having your car towed because your rear view mirror fell down?

Reply to
Baudolino

Reply to
Paul Elliot

VW's may be quirky and expensive to service by Honda standards. And anyone here who's read my posts knows I've complained quite a bit over the last year about some of VW's poor marketing and development choices. But the bottom line is that the VW interior is going to be nicer than 99% of anything else in it's price range. The VW ride is going to be better than 99% of anything in it's price range. And more often than not, the VW offers competitive performance too. For all that, I'm willing to pay a little more. The only problem my 2002 GTi has had in more than 2 years of ownership and 25,000 miles is a dead lightbulb in the passenger side maplight. I think I'm doing pretty well.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Becker

Reply to
Becker

Reply to
Becker

Try reading Toyota ng and you'll understand (hopefully) why VW are crap. On Acura ng their problems are cosmetics mods, poor rice heads.

Your rating as a idiot 10/10

Reply to
Becker

Reply to