dumb rear wheel seal question

I'm doing a rear brake job on the rear drum brakes of my 83 jetta.

I'm putting everything back together and I can't for the life of me figure out which side of the wheel seals should be facing out of the drum!

The seals are Timken and look different than the ones I took out.

One side is soft-ish with some writing on it. The other side has kind of a smooth metal ring on it.

I assume it makes a difference, I just can't figger it out! Anyone knows which side faces the bearing and which side faces the spindle?

A dense guy thanks you in advance.

Reply to
Anony Mouse

a general rule-of-thumb is the lettering always goes up or out. in your case, this applies.

Reply to
northwind

The side with the writing faces the spindle. The seal should have a U-shaped cross section. The bottom of the U faces the spindle and the arms point in towards the bearing.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 260,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (boring work car) 513,000 miles

Reply to
racertod