Exhaust - improve bad welds before installing new parts?

Hello,

I have purchased the cat-back components for my 1995 Passat VR6 - Walker brand. I noticed on the 'suitcase' or center muffler there is a bad quality weld on the outlet pipe. There is a crevass underneath the weld or a place where the weld overhangs and does not contact the pipe. I do not know how to explain it better than that. My general question is;

Does anyone have an idea how muffler welds could be potted, sealed, protected or otherwise improved to help longevity? I first thought of JB weld but learned that that should never be put on exhaust systems because they get too hot. I have "muffler mender" by Victor Products but I am not sure if that product would work in the long run. Isn't muffler putty known for being only a temporary fix? I only intended to use this product to seal the new joints under the clamps.

If I cannot find some DIY treatment or product the best I can think of is to take the part to work and have a coworker add some weld in this one region to seal up the open area. I live in the midwest- Wisconsin so salt attack is the concern. btw my stock muffler has lasted 10-11 years.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mark

none2u

I had the same thought about the weld...that it was possibly welded by a robot that was not set up exactly on target. I had also thought about sending the part back but I dread the idea of having to ship the part back since I bought it online. overall it might be easier for me to deal with the problem myself.

I am not familar with cold galvanizing - I will do some searching about that.

Has any> It sounds like you mean the weld missed the metal joint. probably because it

Reply to
Mark

I've actually used the Permatex "Ultra Black" silicone in place of muffler cement on the joints in the exhaust of my Studebaker (I tend to play around with it a good bit, and if you don't tighten the clamps enough to crimp the pipes, if you use the silicone you can slide the pipes apart again.) It seems to be working fine so far; there's a joint with silicone maybe 18" downstream from the manifolds and it hasn't burned out, even though the headpipes are all brown from the heat (stainless pipes.)

nate

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel