Propane tank for a Westy

Hi all, I generally lurk here and not post much, but I am in need of a good propane tank for my 82 Westy. Since shipping these things is expensive (and potentially illegal!), I am looking for one, say within

100 miles of the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area. If you have one, please let me know. thanks, Hayden
Reply to
Hayden Chasteen

With respect, and with my life at stake, I would not trust a used propane tank on a bet and were I paid to take it. Nor would I trust my testing and installation of same given its location and the consequences of leaving a tiny bit of dirt in the fittings or loosening something at the other end. Get a new one, with the proper fittings. Get a swaging tool and replace the copper lines while you are at it. The cost is quite reasonable especially when compared to the possible alternatives.

are two sources. There are more.

Peter Wieck

Reply to
pfjw

Reply to
Hayden Chasteen

As you say. But with our 1987 Westie, when we got it, I went over all the fittings and copper lines. Several of the fittings were questionable, one actually cracked just as I was checking on it. I had prepared for this eventuality with the correct soft-copper lines, tools and new caps (spud nuts) for the fittings. And the tank itself was fine after I cleaned it to the metal.

$300 here.

$320 here.

On our 1999 VW Winnie, I did the same thing, and everything was nicely tight and still soft.

At least get a gas detector and mount it at floor-level inside your van if you install used and do not go over the entire system in great detail. Propane is heavier than air and a bit more persistent than Methane. With the Winnie, that is OE, by the way.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Reply to