Generator Light - Jetta 96

Just had my safety inspection and it did not pass. I need to get the rear wheel cylinder replaced I guess - doh!

Shortly after though, my generator light has come on. Could something have happened at the shop? I called them back and they said the emissions test was all done by computer so they didn't mess with anything.

Any idea why the generator light has come on, and what I should do? I just had the alternator replaced over a year ago. Could it be bad again?

Reply to
D. Bell

A computer is not going to be able to tell you that the rear brake cylinder needs replacing.

Look to see if your belt is turning your alternator.

You know the answer to that.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Yes, the belt is turning the alternator. Anything else I can check?

Reply to
D. Bell

Where are you?

In MA they have to hook up an induction sensor on one of the spark plug wires so the computer can tell how fast the engine is running. I've seen some guys go directly in with no problems. And I've seeen others flail around under the hood like they were going to pull out every wire in sight. They could have knocked something loose in the process.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Well I took it in to Tunex (they replaced it back in Nov of '03). It was still under warranty so they just replaced it - but I still had to pay for the labor. They said it was running but was putting out the wrong voltage - whatever. Just glad it's working now.

Reply to
D. Bell