Help needed with 96 Golf central locking.

Hi. A week ago I woke up with a car that had no central locking (pump does not operate) and had all windows down. I thought they tried to steal it, but found later no signs of damage.

So now, alarm works, windows work (and go up and down from the key) but central locking does not. Either from the key or from the switch on the panel.

I got to the pump and it has 12 volts on one wire, but as far as I can tell, no more signals.

Normal failure mode? Any hits on where to look? Whats the usual part that fails?

thanks.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Is there a way to test it before replacing it?

Reply to
Eduardo K.

If you don't hear the pump in the back when you try to lock/unlock the car then it has failed and needs replacement. The other common failure with the CLS is a vacuum leak occurs somewhere in which case locking/unlocking might still work but the pump stays on for about 30 seconds or so instead of turning off immediately.

Reply to
John