Going badgeless anyone?

I'm considering removing the badges from the back of my 03 1.8t Wolfsburg Jetta. After considering a lot of aftermarket enhancements I've decided that to avoid the RICE effect I'm better off dressing down rather than up. I may install the rabbit logo at some time, but for now it's badgeless.

My question: Does anybody have a strategy for removing the 1.8t and JETTA badges? Are they posted through the trunk lid, or attached with adhesive? If adhesive is used what can I use to remove them without damaging the finish. Obviously I don't want to blunder out into the driveway with a screwdriver and start prying them off.

Any suggestions or shared experience is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
paul nicosia

I believe that all new VWs use adhesives to hold the badges on. Many people have success using strong string (like dental floss or fishing line), and sawing behind the badge from one edge to the other. Something with a solvent, like lighter fluid or tar remover should get off the residue, then coat with wax.

Reply to
AudiAvant

When I lived in Germany in the mid 1980s, I saw a lot of cars that were "badgeless". I heard two explanations for it from locals, and came up with one of my own:

  1. Getting rid of them gets rid of an opening for rust to begin to develop.
  2. People with lower-end, less well appointed models can foster the illusion that they're driving a higher-end car.
  3. (mine) They all were "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" fans, and were saying, "I don't got to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Any other reasons?

Reply to
Jonathan Ball

  1. For a while there kids would steal the badges from the back of A2's about as fast as you could replace them. Surrender was cheaper and easier than fighting.
Reply to
Tony Bad

go practice at the breaker's yard, and then when you perfect it you can sell the badges on ebay :)

Reply to
Joe

This one is true for Germany. Expensive fuel and high taxes make it so. It is fairly common to see a BMW with Motorsport badging, a 1" exhaust and wheelcovers. But equally common to see a real Audi S6 or BMW M5 with no badges!

Reply to
AudiAvant

But you're not fooling anyone but yourself, then. The taxman sure as hell knows what your car *really* is, and you have to buy whatever fuel you have to buy.

Reply to
Jonathan Ball

cleaner looking...

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Some folks also use a hairdryer to heat the glue, which helps loosen it.

Reply to
philt2112