Golf mk4 pinking sound when slowing down in gears

Hi,

I have a mk4 Golf 2.0 GTI and it makes a pinking sound when I slow down through the gears, mainly from 3rd to 2nd. It only pinks once or twice with each downward gear change. I tried slowing down with just the brakes and there was no sound, nor is there any sound when I rev the engine (thought it might be the change in engine speed causing the problem). The upward changing is fine.

It seems to have started happening since it has had a new timing belt, but the performance of the car is better than it's ever been, which makes me think it can't be anything to do with the belt.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
MikeCutts