Golf TD fuel cut off solenoid mystery

Hi basically my golf is playing up...its a 96 1.9 TD. yesterday, went out to change a rear shock for the MOT test, and it wouldnt start. i found one of the glowplug connections was loose, so fixed that and it started ok...now the damn thing wont stop running!! something a bit freaky about switching off the ignition and taking the keys out, with the motor still going. after about five minutes it dies by itself.

ive been out to get a new fuel cut off solenoid (wotever that is) and as usual it doesnt match anything on my engine. where it should go looks different on my car, there is a similar thing set behind and attached to the throttle, but i cant find any reference to it on my etka disk, or the haynes book. it has a smaller thread, and a black plastic body, with a single wire connection at one end and what looks like some sort of push-rod sticking out the other...this all kind of interfaces with a cable id be grateful for any suggestions...anyone have any ideas?? i might end up walking to work tommorow

Reply to
eiv

The fuel cut off solenoid should be located in the top of the pump body, just above where all the fuel lines bolt up to . All the injection pumps in Canada have it located here but I don't know about where you are.

Reply to
wolfsburgnut

Reply to
none2u