VW Golf/Jetta 1984-1992 and 1993-1998

I,ve question. What mechanical parts are compatable. Between models Jetta/Golf 1984-1992 and Jetta/Golf 1993-1998. I sold a starter to somebody, who has 1994 Jetta and I pulled it out of Jetta 1988. And it fits ok.

Reply to
lojza1

If the engine is the same, then the parts will fit. There are to many parts to make a list if something will fit or not.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Jetta/Golf 1984-1992 is a 1.8 and Jetta/Golf 1993-1998 is a 2.0l engine. completely different body platforms. Most 93 & up used a permanent magnet starter which was smaller and had more torque.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

some things do work out that they'll fit, as with the starter. while it's two different engines, VW's inline-4s for ages have been relatively interchangeable, as are many of the bolt-on parts that attach to them.

Reply to
Matt B.

Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote: : Jetta/Golf 1984-1992 is a 1.8 and Jetta/Golf 1993-1998 is a 2.0l engine. : completely different body platforms. Most 93 & up used a permanent magnet : starter which was smaller and had more torque.

Well... we had some overheading problems with my 86 VW GTI and when I started buying parts I noticed some had "944" at the front of the part number.

After seeing that I checked a 944 catalog and found that "944 106 929 08" was shared between the 1.8l GTI and the 2.5l 944. There were other parts too...

It was just coincidence that I found that and even with the price difference of Porsche parts, I don't make the effort to see if I can find a cheaper VW part that is similar, but I suspect lots of parts are shared between lines.

-- John Nelson

(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing