Help fight VW - 2001 Jetta GLS with defective egnition coil...

I have a 2001 VW Jetta with a 2.0 liter engine. After the "check engine" light came on, I took it to the local VW dealership here in Southern California. They ran some diagnostics and told me that the ignition coil has cracked and needs to be replaced.

I did some research and found out that approximately 530,000 Volkswagens and Audis from 2001 through 2003 are subject to a recall due to defective ignition coils. The same problem as with my car. The trouble is that my specific model is not part of the recall list -- yet. My car is out of warranty by 2 months and has 32,000 miles on it. The best the dealer could offer is a 50% off the total invoice which came to $184.

I was pissed, as I don't want to pay anything to replace ignition coil which is obviously defective. I called VW Corporate but they refused to reimburse $184 I paid to the dealer. I am still pissed and don't know how I can get my money back from VW. At this point it is a matter of principal -- I should not have to pay for a defective part, which is part of a large recall (even if my specific model has not yet made the recall list).

Can anyone recommend what I should do? Who do I deal with at Corporate to make them reimburse me?

Here is a link to the Volkswagen ignition coil recall bulletin:

Thanks for any input...

Reply to
BlueOrbit

Sorry but I did not see your 2.0 engine listed either...........yet!

I have personally replaced about 3 ign. coils for the 2.0 engines in the Jettas (1994-1998) just within the last two months. All failing the wet test. 8^o BTW none of these bad coils turned on the "Engine Check" light. Do you have the DTCs that caused the light to come on? If it is an emission item then does it fall under a longer emission warranty? I hesitate to give YOU too much fuel! lol

If your ign coil gets recalled then you should be reimbursed in full eventually. good luck and let us know what happens! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Sorry to here but the 2.0 engines didn't suffer the same problem as the 1.8t & VR6-24v engines The coil on the 2.0 engine doesn't even look like the coil involved in the recall. Your dealer has more than bent-over-backwards in trying to help you out.

Reply to
Woodchuck

BlueOrbit needs to get himself a Honduh, HunDIE or KEYAAA. I think he would be happier since he seems to not really know the difference between VW model engines. I would almost bet my A$$ that he wouldn't have fixed it if it wasn't something important like making the car move. You as a tech probably have seen many VWs come in that have so many other hardware issues not addressed, and only essential vehicle moving parts are replaced. I can name a dozen or more items that some people just let go and not fix.

Reply to
Peter Parker

If it's any consolation, if they decide to create a campaign circular or even a TSB for this that *does* cover your model, then I believe they will reimburse you for the repair already done. This should be especially simple since you had it done at the dealer. Just keep your eyes out for the TSB, obviously they'll mail you if there's a recall.

-Arthur

BlueOrbit wrote:

Reply to
Arthur Russell

Don't count on it! We service well over 100 cars per week and I think I only replace 2 coils this year on the 2l engines.

Reply to
Woodchuck